Skip to main content

Sleepy Meursault

Meursault sleeps a lot. When he isn’t sleeping he’s often sleepy. I think his sleepiness is a sign that even if he doesn’t narrate it or even realize it himself, he is processing a lot of complex feelings.

Near the beginning of the book Meursault falls asleep on the bus: “It was probably because of all the rushing around, and on top of that the bumpy ride, the smell of gasoline, and the glare of the sky and the road, that I dozed off. I slept the whole way” (4). Then while he’s keeping the vigil he falls asleep twice: “It was pleasant; the coffee had warmed me up and the smell of flowers on the night air was coming through the open door. I think I dozed off for a while” (9). And later on: “Then I dozed off again.” (11). It makes sense that he would be tired since it’s the middle of the night but since he sleeps for the whole afternoon and most of the night it’s a little odd that he’s still tired in the morning; right after the vigil he notes “I was tired” (12). The most plausible reason for him being exhausted is the emotional toll from his mother’s death.

When Meursault gets home from the funeral he sleeps for an incredibly long time. He says one of the only things he remembers about the day was his “joy when the bus entered the nest of lights that was Algiers and [he] knew [he] was going to go to bed and sleep for twelve hours” (18). Then even after all that sleep he “had a hard time getting up, because [he] was tired from the day before” (19). Again, it’s not normal for someone who isn’t regularly sleep deprived or dealing with a health problem to be that tired so I think Meursault must be so tired because he is upset about his mother’s death.

Meursault also sleeps a lot in prison: “Then there was sleep. At first, I didn’t sleep well at night and not at all during the day. Little by little, my nights got better and I was able to sleep during the day, too. In fact, during the last few months I’ve been sleeping sixteen to eighteen hours a day” (79). Consistently sleeping more than sixteen hours a day is not normal for a healthy person. But you would expect someone in Meursault’s situation to be dealing with a lot of strong emotions and it would make sense for Meursault’s tiredness to be explained by emotional exhaustion.

Meursault is also extremely tired after his only real show of emotion in the book. He’s sleepy after yelling at the priest: “With him gone, I was able to calm down again. I was exhausted and threw myself down on my bunk. I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up with the stars in my face” (122). I think Meursault is also tired from dealing with emotion here.

Meursault’s consistent sleepiness after dealing with painful feelings might even shed some light on why he murdered a man. While Meursault is walking on the beach with Raymond and Masson he feels tired: “I wasn’t thinking about anything, because I was half asleep from the sun beating down on my bare head” (53). I think his tiredness here is more due to emotional distress than the sun. Meursault is particularly struggling with some emotional problem on that day, which partially explains why he becomes crazed enough to shoot someone.







Comments

  1. Wow, great post!! We've talked about Mersault's somnolence before but never discussed a reason. This makes a lot of sense to me, and jives really well with his outward lack of emotion. Mersault is an iceberg, but even he doesn't really recognize what's below.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this really made me think! I remember talking in class about how it seemed strange that Meursault would want to go home and sleep for twelve hours, but I didn't really piece together how many times he is asleep or sleepy. In some ways, I see how it could be argued that sleep is a pretty prevalent part of life, so it would make sense that it is included so many times in the story, but I think that there is something more to his sleepiness, and I think your argument that it shows underlying turmoil makes a lot of sense. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How does Odysseus feel about his men? Bonus: a lot of questions about class

We’ve discussed a lot to what extent we think Odysseus is a reliable narrator. The main piece of evidence for his reliability is that he includes details about the way he treated his crew that reflect badly on him. Today in class I suggested that he could include these details to make lies seem more realistic and someone suggested that Odysseus probably just truly feels bad about his men’s deaths. But that started me thinking about the weird dynamic of Odysseus’s relationship with his crew so I looked back in the book to see how he talks about his men and their deaths. I presented on book eleven, so I immediately thought of Elpenor. Elpenor certainly seems important to Odysseus since Odysseus mentions him three times: when he first died, when he’s in the underworld, and when he’s actually buried. Odysseus’s attention to Elpenor both in burying him with all the proper rituals and in describing his death in detail in his story shows that Odysseus has some level of affection for him

The Pantasote Top

In describing Coalhouses’s Model T, Doctorow repeatedly mentions the custom pantasote top. When we first meet Coalhouse the narrator mentions the top: “His car shone. The brightwork gleamed. There was a glass windshield and a custom pantasote top” (155). When his car is vandalized by the firemen “the custom pantasote top was slashed to ribbons” (180). When Conklin repairs the car, the end result is “a shining black Model T Ford with a custom pantasote roof” (295). We talked about how the car is a symbol of wealth and status and so the mention of the custom top (a fancy addition) at the end of so many descriptions of the car reminds us of that. But what actually is a pantasote top? When the car is being repaired “The Pantasote Company delivered a top” so from the book we know that it’s a brand name top (295). I also googled pantasote and it appears to be both the name of a company and the name of the particular material the company used to make car tops.

Flowers in Mrs. Dalloway

Flowers abound in Mrs. Dalloway . Parts of the plot are flower centric. The book begins with Clarissa going to buy flowers. Later on she reflects on the unique way Sally arranges flowers and how Sally kissed her after picking a flower. Richard brings Clarissa flowers when he comes home. Flowers are also just briefly mentioned throughout the book. When Peter follows a woman to her house his thoughts about Clarissa are interrupted by “The house was one of those flat red houses with hanging flowers of vague impropriety. (…) Well, I’ve had my fun; I’ve had it, he thought, looking up at the swinging basket of pale geraniums.” (53). It’s odd that Peter focuses on the flowers at all, given that his thoughts are mostly consumed by Clarissa and the other woman but it’s also interesting that Peter notes the specific type of flower. Later Peter thinks about Sally and flowers: “Who was it who had done that? (…) Somebody who had written him a long, gushing letter quite lately about